The City of Livermore operates under the Council-Manager form of government. The City Council provides overall policy direction and appoints a City Manager who is responsible for implementing adopted City policies. The City Manager’s Office is responsible for the operational activities of all City departments. It implements policies and procedures at all levels of City government to ensure the City Council’s community vision becomes reality.
The City Manager's Office implements the policy decisions and priorities of the City Council; communicates Livermore's vision and values as determined by the City Council and the community; and cultivates a customer service philosophy oriented around civic engagement.
The City Manager's Office assists in the operational activities of all City departments, implements City Council goals, and ensures public access to the City's legislative efforts and elections. In addition, the City Manager's Office:
- assists in the development of ordinances, resolutions and policies;
- serves as liaison with local and regional intergovernmental groups;
- provides public information through a variety of media;
- builds community engagement;
- plans official City events;
- manages various citywide projects such as the Key to the City resident academy and I-GATE iHUB. The iGATE iHUB leverages close partnerships between Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Sandia National Laboratories, regional governments, and the business community in order to connect entrepreneurs and start-ups with needed resources.